Whether you are camping outdoors for a night or two, going hiking, or just having a family picnic, a grill is an essential piece of equipment that you will most definitely need at some instance to cook a delicious meal, or maybe to make a hot cup of coffee.
A few grill designs can be used for camping, from the most basic foldable grill to gas-operated or full Grill and oven design.
Camping Grill Types
- Foldable Grill and Fire Pit – The foldable Grill is just the Grill that folds up very compact and small. You can make a fire using wood and straw and place your grill over the fire at your camping area. This method may not be the safest or easiest, but it is the cheapest. Some foldable grills come with a handy fire pit that can also be collapsed and stored; The fire pit helps keep the fire contained and aids in faster ignition.
- Charcoal Grill – the charcoal grill is a full-size enclosed BBQ system with a top grill that is small and compact enough to travel with, some models may even be collapsible.
- Gas or Propane Grill – A gas or small propane grill is a more expensive and much easier option ignited by propane gas. No charcoal or other fuel methods are necessary for this model, though it may be less portable or foldable than the first two models.
- Gas Stove and Grill – a Gas Stove and grill is your top-of-the-range camping “kitchen” fully equipped with a grill and handy stove for you to cook delicious meals using Gas or propane gas as ignition.
What To Look for in a Camping Grill
- Light and Compact – First and foremost a Grill that you are going to take camping, hiking or for a picnic needs to be light and small enough to carry around easily and to fit in your vehicle.
- Foldable – a foldable design is always your best option in a camping grill as it can fit comfortably in your vehicle, in a backpack, or hiking bag.
- Easy Ignition – you do not want to struggle to make a fire when you are in the rough outdoors, so look for a Grill type that will be easy to ignite and start and that will provide adequate heat to cook your desired amount of meals and food.
- Fuel Type – Fuale type can range from natural twigs and wood laying around, to charcoal and then, of course, the much easier and luxury propane gas that is no mess or fuss.
Portable Camping Grill Types
The best type of grill to invest in for Camping is a PORTABLE design grill, which is easy to set up and fold up again for storage, yet practical and sizable enough to grill enough food for your family or friends.
Two types of Portable Grill that work well for camping are Charcoal Fuelled or Gas Fuelled Grills;
- Charcoal – For the Charcoal Grill, you will need either wood or charcoal as fuel, and there is some cleaning up of the ashes afterward, although with technology today, the clean up is quick and easy.
- Propane Gas or Liquid Propane Gas – As Gas Grill can use Natural or Propane Gas or Liquid Propane, in which a gas tank is required, and burners in the Grill are sued for a heat source. This type of Grill is much easier to use and requires little to no cleanup, yet it is also a more expensive option.
Choosing the Best Portable Grill for Camping
So You have to decide on the type of Grill you want; here are a few factors to consider when choosing a Grill for Camping;
- Portability – For camping, you will need a grill with a portable design that is small and compact enough to fit in the trunk of a car easily. Many grill types come in foldable options, set up for grilling and folded again for storage and portability. In this case, you also need to look at how much the grill weighs as you will need to carry it or look for an option with wheels.
- Cooking Space – This is the grate or griddle area where you will be cooking your food on which is usually between 145 and 250 square inches in a smaller portable grill. You need to consider the grilling space by the size of your family or group of friends, for the amount of food that you will be cooking on it at a time.
- Performance – In a charcoal Grill, the performance and heat output are generally the same, whereas, with a Gas field grill, you need to look at the number of burners. The burner or group of burners put out heat and power in the form of BTUY’S, of which 12 00 is generally good for a single burner and 26 000 for two burners. A smaller, more compact-sized Grill will usually only have one burner.
- Burner Control – Burner control is another important aspect in most Gas Grill, make sure that you can easily control the temperature to keep even heat.
- Wind Resistance – For any outdoor Grill, you want some coverage and wind resistance if you do not like sand and leaves in your food. Look for a Grill with a wind-resistant Lid, which also has openings for temperature control and ventilation.
- Additional Features – These may include side storage and prepping shelves, a Thermometer, and an electric ignition system on your Gas grill so that you do not need matches or lighters.
Features of a Good Grill for Camping
- Lightweight, foldable, and portable.
- It is made from high-quality metal or stainless steel.
- It is fueled with Charcoal, natural elements, or Propane Gas.
- It comes with a stove or fire pit design.
- Easy to use and offers ample cooking surface area for your family size.
Reviews: The Best Camping Grills
Below are some of the Best Available Grills that are ideal for camping and picnics;
A two-in-one grill and fire pit for all your camping needs are foldable and compact for easy storage and portability.
- Made from the most durable stainless steel, which folds up very thin and compact and fits easily in your car.
- A regular or mini-size fire pit option for two or the whole family.
- The grill base is sturdy and stable and sets up very fast.
- The fire pit is completely rust and corrosion resistant and very safe to use.
- The fire pit will contain the fire in a safe space and is very easy and affordable to fuel.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
The CUSIMAX is highly portable and ideal for camping trips and picnics outdoors.
- Features two burnet can use the grill and stove at once, in the nifty grilling and stove design.
- Durable construction from stainless steel with a heavy-duty grill box and durable cast iron grill grates, the entire unit has a strong powder coating.
- Collapsible design for easy portability and a carry handle.
- The wind block panels vehicle your burners from the wind.
- Very user-friendly and easy to transport with detachable legs.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
Looking for a lightweight and compact all Grill, stove, and Fire Pit for your camping trip or picnic, well, then the MEET GRILL is everything you need all in one small and compact design.
- Manufactured from the finest quality, corrosion, and rust-resistant treated stainless steel.
- Folds up small and compact for portability and easy storage.
- Three in one stove, Fire Pit, and Grill design.
- All you need for a complete barbecue.
- Lightweight and affordable, and very durable for all those camping trips and even picnics.
- Inexpensive when it comes to fuel consumption, you can use grass and twigs laying around to start the fire pit.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
The Coleman is a top brand when it comes to Grills, and rightfully so. The RoadTrip is your ideal camping or outdoor portable grill.
- Available in a few fun color options to choose from.
- A portable propane Gas operated the grill.
- Small and compact with 20 000 BTUs of grilling power and 285 square inches of grill area.
- It comes with three independently burning burners to enhance temperature control.
- The water pan catches all the cooking grease for easy cleaning.
- There are two durable side tables to rest utensils and sauces and spices.
- A locking lid for more secure transport.
- It uses a one-pound Porane gas cylinder to operate.
The Cuisinart camping and portable Grill is easy to set up and use in an 8 000 BTU portable Gas grill design.
- An 8000 BTU portable gas grill.
- The dishwasher is safe and easy to clean.
- Highly portable design with a 146 square inch grill area.
- Gas operated with an 8000 BTTU burner.
- Easy push-button ignition.
- Portable and foldable design for camping and easy storage.
From AGM, we have the BBQ Charcoal grill that is lightweight and foldable and works with charcoal as fuel.
- Portable and lightweight design that is foldable for easy transportation.
- It uses charcoal briquettes as fuel, is affordable and easy to come by, and is fast in heating.
- An easy-to-use, mess-free design that burns and cooks fast and effectively.
- The perfect outdoor and camping tool made from high-quality stainless steel that is abarsive resistant and scratch resistant.
One of the best models and brands for camping trips is the Weber Smokey Joe.
- A compact and lightweight grill for easy grilling on the go.
- There is a large grill grate for four to six persons for enough cooking space.
- The lid and bowl are made from porcelain-coated cast iron and will not rust or peel.
- Some Dampers allow you to control grill temperatures easily.
- The durable steel plated looking grates retain heat and clean very easily.
This model from Cuisinart is portable and has a large cooking surface, the ideal Charcoal camping grill.
- It uses Charcoal as fuel and has a precision airflow system for accurate temperature management. There is also a convenient lid-mounted temperature gauge.
- Ultra-portable grill with a unique lift system to access the charcoal bed without touching the cooking grate.
- A large 249 square inch cooking grate with a durable porcelain enamel coating.
- The large ash collection tray ensures quick and easy cleanup, and the sturdy base offers excellent stability when grilling.
A durable and compact design Gas grill is perfect for camping trips and outdoor use.
- This grill has two powerful burners and is perfect for the outdoor gas range.
- Heats up very quickly and keeps a consistent temperature.
- The flame is adjustable, and there are large burner knobs for heat control.
- Ideal design for a trailer or RV.
- It comes with a reversible cast iron Grill and Griddle that can easily cover a single burner.
The Weber Q100 is a small tabletop standing portable grill that is also ideal for camping and picnics.
- A Gas fuelled grill with a single burner that puts out 8500 BTU” S per hour.
- A large 189 square inch cooking space made from porcelain enameled cast iron.
- Comes fully assembled out of the box with a lid.
- Easy ignition push-button design and infinite control burners.
The Isomer is a small and compact Charcoal grill that is easy to clean and ideal for camping trips.
- Small and portable design with four detachable legs.
- It is made from durable stainless steel that is thick and sturdy.
- Large grill size for ample cooking space and a foldable design.
- It uses Charcoal as fuel and is very easy to clean.
Table of Contents
- Camping Grill Types
- What To Look for in a Camping Grill
- Portable Camping Grill Types
- Choosing the Best Portable Grill for Camping
- Features of a Good Grill for Camping
- Reviews: The Best Camping Grills
- UCO® Flatpack Foldable Camping Grill and Fire Pit
- CUSIMAX® Portable Propane Camping Grill and Stove
- MEET GRILL® Camping Lightweight Camping Grill With Stove
- Coleman® RoadTrip Stand Up propaneCamping Grill
- Cuisinart® Grillster Gas Camping Grill
- AFM BBQ® Charcoal Foldable Camping Grill
- Weber® Smokey Joe Small Camping Grill
- Cusinart® Portable Camping Grill
- Camp Chef® Expedition Gas Camping Grill
- Weber® Q1000 Table Top Camping Grill
- Isumer® Portable Charcoal Camping Grill