The widespread and age-old belief that searing meat locks in all the flavorful and healthy juices are still repeated and in full effect today.
This theory was first placed into practice by a Greman Chemist and food scientist in 1850.
After that, the notion was embraced by many cooks using searing grills and followed by authors with more contemporary beliefs.
Believed to typically make foods such as meats from non-poultry sources more succulent and juicy, with a tried and tested theory.
There are two basic types of searing, searing done before the meat is cooked or after the meat is cooked.
It is believed that less moisture is lost when searing after the cooking process, and better flavor benefits are hence gained.
Searing and Reverse Searing
Searing on a grill or pan is a technique used in which the surface area of meat or food is cooked at a high temperature, almost up to a burning point, until a brown crust is formed; you may have also heard of flame grilling, which is the same technique.
This method is used to sear all sides of a meat or food surface, and the temperature needs to exceed around 150 degrees. Likewise, the food’s surface should be free of water or moisture for this process to work at its best.
Why is This Technique so popular;
- It is said to lock in healthy and flavorful juices and moisture in the food.
- The Browing creates a more desirable flavor in certain meats.
- The appearance of food is more delightful with brown or caramel crust.
- There is a contrasting taste between the crust and the moist interior, making the food so much more interesting.
The two Types of searing that you will get is Reverse searing, or Pre-Searing.
Reverse searing is when you cook your food at a low heat first and then sear it at a high temperature; where the Pre-searing is done by first searing the food at a high temperature and slow cooking it at a lower temperature. Reverse searing seems to be the most effective in most cases, giving more desirable results.
Benefits of Searing Meat and Foods on Your Grill
There are just so many benefits to Searing or foods, here are only a few;
- Juicy Foods and Meat – Apart from searing, we also have this flat top grill which provides healthy juices and moisture giving you tender and flavorful meat.
- More Flavour – You will enjoy much stronger flavors and have the tase of both the caramelized crust and the soft interior holding the juices.
- Fewer Fats – Searing eliminates excess fats on the surface of the foods as well as excess moisture on the outside.
- Healthier – Seared foods are much healthier to eat than their cooked-only counterparts.
- Keeps in Moisture – searing prevents your food from drying out and keeps it moist and easier to eat and digest.
Features of a Good Grill for Searing
- An easy to clean non-stick coating or grill.
- Durable design from rust and corrosion-resistant metal.
- Different temperature settings and controls.
- It comes with a handy drip tray to catch excess liquids.
- The large surface area, as you may require for grilling and searing.
- It heats up quickly and keeps its heat evenly.
- Cleans easily without hassle.
Reviews: The Best Searing Grills
Below are some of the Best Available Grills that are ideal for Searing and picnics;
One of the most popular searing grills in the healthy Grill departments, and I am personally the happy owner of one of these.
- Great to use both indoors and outdoors.
- It has a non-stick coating that is very easy to wipe clean with a soft microfiber cloth.
- Seals in moisture effectively and reduces excess fats.
- A temperature probe allows you to adjust and set the temperature.
- It features a large grill surface that is perfect for any occasion.
- It can be used to sear all kinds of meats and vegetables, and I like using mine to make toasted sandwiches.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
The Hamilton Beach Indoor searing Grill comes with a portable easy to clean, Non-Stick plate and has an extra-large drip tray.
- It is an easy-to-clean indoor grill plate and drip tray, both removable and dishwasher safe.
- High searing heat and a protective hood that locks in juices and flavors.
- The temperature is adjustable for lower and high heat for optimal grilling results.
- There are power and preheating lights that are easy to read.
- The extra-large drip tray ensures much less mess.
- Easy to clean non-stick design made from stainless steel.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
- This searing grill comes in a 430 Stainless Stell body and lid construction, along with a 304 Stainless steel Grid.
- It is made with two 10,000BTU burners to deliver the optimum heat for searing.
- The portable design features folding legs and a latching hood for easy transportation.
- It offers a push-and-turn ignition, as well as a dome thermometer.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
From Simple Living, we have the highly advanced smokeless searing grill and BBQ grill powered with infrared technology emitting almost no smoke.
- An indoor smokeless grill with almost zero smoke emissions.
- Authentic grill flavors and no smoke at all.
- It heats up to high temperatures very fast with Infraderd technology.
- The advanced infrared technology, ensures deliciously cooked food that is seared to perfection.
This is a portable electrical model of the indoor-searing grill with a non-stick surface coating.
- An extra-large cooking surface area for multiple foods to be cooked and seared at once.
- A separate heater and grilling plate with a ribbed designed surface for cooking and searing.
- The grill plate is made from, die-cast aluminium.
- A non-stick surface that requires very little oil or moisture for first use.
- Very easy to clean surface and design,
- Portable for both indoor and outdoor use.
Another superb model from Hamilton Beach is the Raclette Indoor grill with its 200 square inches no-stick serving surface.
- Perfect for entertaining, parties, and the whole family with its large surface for cooking.
- It can serve up to 8 people at once.
- Non-stick easy to clean coating.
- Dishwasher safe design.
- The temperature is adjustable.
- Prepare the century-old popular Raclette dish from the Swiss easily with this model.
- This searing grill is designed for quick and efficient cooking.
- It delivers up to 1500F of heat rapidly.
- The grill comes with a sleek and clear, digital temperature and timer display system.
- It comes with nine rails to cook at any distance from the heat source.
- This grill features 5 cooking functions including full grill, half grill, full griddle, and half griddle.
- It comes with removable, dishwasher-safe, die-cast plated with embedded heating elements.
- The grill provides a large cooking surface of 14.5 x 9 inches.
- Iy comes with a self-adjustable hinge to prevent the crushing of food.
- This searing grill comes with 2, 24,000 BTU gas burners.
- It uses liquid propane as fuel for the grill.
- The grill offers 300 sq. inches of cooking space, as well as a 100 squinches swing-away rack.
- It features porcelain-coated, cast-iron grates for durability.
The Cuisinart Searing Grill is popular amongst many professionals and is a small tabletop standing Gas fueled searing grill, ideal for smaller homes and apartments.
- A one 10 0000 BTU burner in the grill.
- There are 175 square inches of cooking surface.
- Easy twist and start ignition.
- The Lid has a built-in temperature gauge.
- The grate is made from the highest quality high-end stainless steel.
- It works well with a 1 lb propane gas cylinder as fuel.
Index Table: Searing Grills
|1||George Foreman Outdoor - Electrical Searing Grill||George Foreman||98.5|
|2||Hamilton Beach Indoor - Stainless Steel Searing Grill||Hamilton Beach||97|
|3||Pit Boss Grills Portable - Searing Grill||Pit Boss Grills||95.3|
|4||Simple Living Advanced - Infrared Searing Grill||Simple Living||98|
|5||Everything Jingle Bell Indoor - Searing Grill||Everything Jingle Bell||97|
|6||Hamilton Beach Raclette - Non-Stick Searing Grill||Hamilton Beach||97|
|7||Flame King SCORCH - Searing Cooker Grill||Flame King||96.6|
|8||DeLonghi All Day - Combination Contact Grill||DeLonghi||96.2|
|9||Char-Broil Performance Series - Propane Gas Grill||Char-Broil||95.7|
|10||Cuisinart Tabletop - Small Searing Grill||Cuisinart||97|
Table of Contents
- Searing and Reverse Searing
- Benefits of Searing Meat and Foods on Your Grill
- Features of a Good Grill for Searing
- Reviews: The Best Searing Grills
- George Foreman® Outdoor Electrical Searing Grill
- Hamilton Beach® Indoor Stainless Steel Searing Grill
- Pit Boss Grills® Portable Searing Grill
- Simple Living® Advanced Infrared Searing Grill
- Everything Jingle Bell® Indoor Searing Grill
- Hamilton Beach® Raclette Non-Stick Searing Grill
- Flame King® SCORCH Searing Cooker Grill
- DeLonghi® All Day Combination Contact Grill
- Char-Broil® Performance Series Propane Gas Grill
- Cuisinart® Tabletop Small Searing Grill
- Index Table: Searing Grills