One of the best things about grilling is the fact that there are so many varieties of cooking that you can use.
One of these varieties is smoking, and today we will look at some of the best Propane Gas Smokers that you can use to get perfect results every time.
The Propane Gas Smoker
A gas smoker is basically a device that smokes food by using propane gas as its fuel method.
They are most likely known as vertical propane smokers. However, there are other shapes, and they also incorporate wood for flavor when smoking, similar to charcoal smokers.
The Propane Gas smoker is a much cleaner and easier to use option than the charcoal smoker that leaves ash and much smoke.
The below video shows how to use a Propane Gas Smoker to Smoke a Rack of Ribs
The Components of Propane Gas Smoker
Like the Charcoal Smoker and electric smokers, gas smokers are vertically aligned with space at the top of the device, and the heating source ate the bottom. These are, of course, designs that are not grill combination smokers.
The Vertical gas smokers have the following characteristics;
- Grill Racks – The Grill racks are usually stainless steel or plated with porcelain or chrome. They can be used to place food directly, or you can place iron skillets on them.
- Gas Burner – At the bottom of the Propane gas Smoker will be a gas-fuelled burner with a gas tank that is usually stainless steel.
- Wood Chip Tray – The Burner will be surrounded by a wood chip tray where the wood chips from your chosen woods will slowly burn to produce smoke.
- Water Pan – Above the wood chip tray, you will find a water pan that you initially fill with cold water to prevent internal temperatures from rising too fast. The water releases steam for convection cooking.
- Vents and Dampers – The Flames are fed by oxygen, and without oxygen, your food will be covered in soot. Therefore you need proper dampers and vents at the bottom of the unit. The temperature and airflow can be controlled using dials on the vents and dampers, allowing some heat to escape.
Features of a Good Propane Smoker
Here are a few considerations to take heed of before choosing a good Propane Smoker;
- Construction and Materials – Any good propane smoker needs to consist of a durable material that can withstand very high heat very well. Most propane smokers consist of steel ovens with a water tray, porcelain or chrome-plated cooking grates ad a wood chip tray. A Propane Smoker with a powder coating exterior is always a great choice as it holds up well against the weather elements. You can also invest n a Propane gas Smoker model that is a multi-layered oven for effective insulation and quality.
- The Door – You want a Propane gas Smoker that can maintain the consistent heat and smoke for the best results. Therefore you may want to pay a bit extra for a model with a double door. When you need to add wood and water every time through a single door, you may lose heat and smoke, whereas, with a double door, there is a separate opening for adding water and wood, so no smoke or heat escapes from the box. It is also a great idea to get a smoker that has an adjustable latch on the door that ensures that it seals properly.
- BTU’s – The Propane Gas Smoker’s heat output is measured in British Thermal Units referred to as BTU’s. The higher the number of BTUs the smoke offers, the more heat it is able to produce. In most cases, you will need to look for a model that provides between 10 000 and 20 000 or more to generate enough heat to smoke your foods.
- Grill Space – The Grill space or capacity where you will place food to be smoked needs to be large enough to smoke enough food for the number of people that you will need to feed. You can generally choose the size of your smoker on this fact. For large families and groups, you will need an offset smoker for a large grilling. Whereas if you have smaller families and do not entertain much, you can get away with a much smaller option.
- Ignition – Most propane Gas smokers have a one-touch button ignition system, so no lighters or matches are required for ignition. The push-button ignition system is a very convenient and safe method of ignition if you want to invest in one of these newer models.
- Temperature Controls – You will want to adjust the amount of heat inside your Propane gas smoker to suit your needs, look for a model that has vents, or dampers and valves that you can adjust, and also adjustable gas supply in order to keep better control of temperatures inside the smoker. These features allow you to make quick and easy temperature adjustments that will make a huge difference in the finished product. Some Smokers do come equipped with built-in thermometers that ate accurate and reliable to check.
- Dedicated Racks – Most Propane Smokers have main racks dedicated to holding larger pieces of meats such as ribs, whole turkeys, or beef shoulders, You may want to choose a model that has smaller specialized racks for holding smaller items as a personal preference, making placing these foods inside much easier.
Reviews: The Best Propane Smokers
Listed below are some of our top favorite choices in brands and models of Propane gas Smokers;
This model from Cuisinart is a durable and lightweight gas smoker that uses Propane gas as a fuel, and that has an alloy steel body.
- The Propane gas smoker has a size of 45 square feet.
- It is a spacious and versatile design.
- There is a built-in thermometer for optimal temperature control.
- The door has a seal-tight lock twist and a comfortable, cool handle.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
The Master built is a large 30-inch size propane gas smoker that comes with all the trimmings.
- The Propane smoker has four chrome-coated smoking racks for different types of grilling items.
- It uses a push-button for ignition that is easy and convenient.
- The burners are 15 400 BTU burners.
- There is an air damper for moisture, temperature, and smoke control.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
The Pitboss 77435 is a propane Gas operated smoker with a vertical design that comes in red color.
- This is a dual valve and dual burner Propane Gas Smoker system that has a 100-350 temperature range.
- It has stainless steel burners that are 12500 BTU in total.
- There is likewise external access to eth wood chips.
- A large viewing window allows you to check temperatures and progress.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
The Smoke Hollow from Masterbuild has an easy [push button ignition system and design on legs with adjustable height.
- The Propane Gas Offset smoker has four chrome-coated smoking racks.
- There is a 15400BTU
- It consists of durable stainless steel and has legs for additional height.
- There are an adjustable air damper and a moisture and smoke control design. stainless steel burner.
The Masterbuilt smoker is Propane Gas operated, with a sturdy build and durable construction.
- This Propane Gas Offset Burner consists of stainless steel and has porcelain coatings.
- There is a removable water pan for easy moisture control.
- An easy-to-read Thermostat is placed inside the door.
- There are four chrome-coated smoking racks.
The Oklahoma Joe is a Charcoal, LP Gas, and Smoker combo all in one grill.
- The Gas Smoker has 1060 square inches of cooking space.
- It has three 12 000 BTU burners altogether,
- There is a professional temperature gauge for accurate monitoring in both chambers.
- The firebox door has an air damper for easy cleaning and convenience.
Index Table: Top Rated Propane Smokers
|1||Cuisinart COS-244 - Vertical Propane Smoker||Cuisinart||98|
|2||Masterbuilt MPS - Propane Smoker||Masterbuilt||96.75|
|3||Pit Boss 77435 - Vertical Propane Smoker||Pit Boss||95.5|
|4||Smoke Hollow Masterbuilt - Propane Smoker||Smoke Hollow||97|
|5||Masterbuilt MFG - Propane Smoker||Masterbuilt||97.4|
|6||Oklahoma Joe Combo - Propane Smoker Combo||Oklahoma Joe||97|
Table of Contents
- The Propane Gas Smoker
- The Components of Propane Gas Smoker
- Features of a Good Propane Smoker
- Reviews: The Best Propane Smokers
- Index Table: Top Rated Propane Smokers