When it comes to Charcoal as a fuel, you have two options, either the general Charcoal Briquettes or Lump Charcoal.
Not to say that one is better than the other, we each have our personal preference, but in this article, I want to concentrate on some of the best available Lump Charcoal brands and what makes them so fantastic.
Why Use Lump Charcoal
Lump Charcoal comes in several different sizes and is a more raw form of charcoal, That the general briquettes.
Lum Charcoal has also been popular with most pitmasters and individuals on the professional and competitive BBQ circuit for many years,
The Lump Charcoal is made by slowly burning real pieces of wood in an airtight area until all the natural sap and moisture leaves the wood. What is then left is charcoal called Lump Charcoal.
Here are a few Interesting Facts about Lump Charcoal;
- Natural – Lump Charcoal is All Natural with no chemicall addatoves and extras added to it.
Hotter Burning Capacity – Lump Charcoal will burn much hotter than general Charcoal Briquettes.
Lights Faster – Generally it is easier and much faster to light up Lump Charcoal.
Temperature Adjustability – Adjusting and controlling the temperature of your grill is also much more comfortable when using Lump Charcoal.
Different Sizes – Lump Charcoal is available in different sizes. However, many Lump charcoal bags contain different sized pieces of Lump Charcoal, which makes Grilling a bit more difficult.
Expensive – Lump Charcoal is a more natural form of Charcoal and, therefore, will be a bit more expensive than Briquettes.
Burns Faster – Overall Lump Charcoal being natural does not have a similar design and chemical additives such as Briquettes, which enables it to burn slower, therefore burning time on Lump Charcoal is slightly faster.
Lump Charcoal VS Briquettes
All in all let us look at the fundamental differences between Lump Charcoal and Charcoal briquettes, to get an idea of why Lump Charcoal is preferred;
Lump Charcoal is Charcoal in its most primitive and natural form, so there are no additives or chemicals. Lump Charcoal generally burns faster and hotter and leaves much less ash than Briquette Charcoal. You can likewise control the fire’s temperature much easier because Lump Charcoal is much more responsive to oxygen.
Briquettes are sort of the fast-food of Charcoals. They are cheap and reliable, and readily available, and they burn much longer than Lump Charcoal. Yet you still need to know what is in them. Unlike Pure Lump Charcoal Briquette Charcoal consist of wood by-products compressed with a variety of additives which give of a chemical smell when they are lit. Another issue with Briquette Charcoal is that it gives off a tremendous amount of ash. Besides this, Charcoal briquettes burn quite long, holed consistent temperature and light easily enough.
Features of a Good Lump Charcoal
- Size – The bag comes in different LB weight options or a general weight of 20LB. Lumpp sizes can vary from medium nto extra large in the Charcoal Lumps.
Natural – All natural sources and making processes are used, so there are no fillers or additives.
Wood and Flavor – Wood such as Oak and other hardwoods are used to manufacture the Lump Charcoal. Extra flavor such as Hickory can be added.
Reviews: The Best Lump Charcoals
These are some top favorite brands that all manufacture the best available Charcoal Lumps;
The Jealous Devil Hardwood Lump Charcoal is a trusted and much sought after brand in Hardwood Lump Charcoal and my top pick.
- The Charcoal bag comes in different sizes and weight options from which you can choose.
- The bag itself has an improved, much more durable design.
- Hardwood Lump Charcoal burns better with less ash and prevents rust build up in your Grill.
- The Jealous Devil Charcoal Lumps are also restaurant grade quality and burns twice as hot as traditional Charcoal, as well as much longer.
- These Lumps offer a rich and mild smokey flavor that will not overpower your food.
From Kamado Joe, we have another top-selling brand in not only Grills but Lump Charcoal as well.
- These are all-natural Lump Charocal that burns longer, cleaner, and much hotter than anything else on the market.
- The Lump Charcoal from Kamado Joe is crafted in Argentinia by highly qualified artisans.
- You will see that these Lumps of Charcoal are likewise much larger than usual.
- Besides this, they can light up very fast and easily, which is another bonus.
The B and B charcoal Lump bag comes in a weight of 20Lb and is manufactured from Oak Wood.
- Made from all-natural Oakwood with no chemicals or additives.
- The bag and charcoal are completely environmentally friendly and of the highest quality.
- These are medium to large-sized Lumps that burn well with less ash, and that ignite easily.
- Excellent choice Texas Style Lump Charcoal.
From Wicked Wood, we have the most exquisite quality 20lb bag of Lump Charcoal.
- Excellent quality medium to large-sized lump Charcoal.
- The bag comes in a 20lb weight, which is the ideal weight in Lump Charcoal.
- The Lump Charcoal is made from all-natural Hardwood without any additives.
- Lump Charcoal will light very fast, burn very hot, and leave much less mess than regular charcoal.
The most Flavorful Lump Charcoal is, of course, the Fire and Flavor brand with their John Wayne Lump Charcoal.
- Enjoy the delicious flavor of Hardwood Oak and Hickory Lump charcoal in its most natural form.
- These Lumps have burn ridges and create much better airflow for easy ignition.
- Ideal for any barbeque where you want some extra flavor and aromas.
- These Charcoal Lumps are authentic, original and a classic just like John Wayne is himself
If you are looking for large Lump Charcala pieces, I then highly recommend the 20-pound bag of BIG CP from Big Green Egg.
- These are much large Lump Pieces of Charcoal.
- Big Green Egg only sources their natural Charcoal materials form all natural bases with no fillers and additives.
- These are likewise premium carbonized wood that has absolutely no additives, which are the best on the market.
- I highly recommend this as the best Lump Charcoal if you are looking for the most original larger pieces.
Index Table: Top Rated Lump Charcoals
|1||Jealous Devil All Natural - Hardwood Lump Charcoal||Jealous Devil||98.6|
|2||Kamado Joe Bog Block - Argentinian Lump Charcoal||Kamado Joe||98|
|3||B and B Oak Lump - Lump Charcoal||B and B||96|
|4||Wicked Wood Charcoal Lump Bag - Lump Charcoal||Wicked Wood Charcoal||97.1|
|5||Fire and Flavor John Wayne - Lump Charcoal Briquette||Fire and Flavor||96|
|6||Big Green Egg Big CP - Natural Lump Charcoal||Big Green Egg||96|
Table of Contents
- Why Use Lump Charcoal
- Lump Charcoal VS Briquettes
- Features of a Good Lump Charcoal
- Reviews: The Best Lump Charcoals
- Index Table: Top Rated Lump Charcoals