You have two options regarding Charcoal as a fuel: the general Charcoal Briquettes or Lump Charcoal.
One is better than the other; we each have our personal preference, but in this article, I want to concentrate on some of the best available Lump Charcoal brands and what makes them so fantastic.
Table of Contents
- Why Use Lump Charcoal
- Lump Charcoal VS Briquettes
- Features of a Good Lump Charcoal
- Reviews: The Best Lump Charcoals
- Jealous Devil® All Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal
- Char-Broil® Center Cut Lump Charcoal
- B and B® Oak Lump Lump Charcoal
- Wicked Wood Charcoal® Lump Bag Lump Charcoal
- Original Natural Charcoal® Hardwood Pillow Shaped Charcoals
- Big Green Egg® Big CP Natural Lump Charcoal
- Fogo® Premium Lump Charcoal Bag
- VIVA PANCHO® Authentic Mesquite Lump Charcoal
- Index Table: Top Rated Lump Charcoals
Why Use Lump Charcoal
Lump Charcoal comes in several sizes and is more raw charcoal than the general briquettes.
For many years, lump Charcoal has been popular with most pitmasters and individuals on the professional and competitive BBQ circuit. You can use this lump charcoal on various types of charcoal grills, whether it’s a kettle, ceramic, or gas and charcoal hybrid grills.
The Lump Charcoal is made by slowly burning real pieces of wood in an airtight area until all the natural sap and moisture leaves the wood. What is then left is charcoal called Lump Charcoal.
Here are a few Interesting Facts about Lump Charcoal;
- Natural – Lump Charcoal is All Natural with no chemical additives and extras added to it.
- Hotter Burning Capacity – Lump Charcoal will burn much hotter than general Charcoal Briquettes.
- Lights Faster – Generally, lighting up Lump Charcoal is easier and much faster.
- Temperature Adjustability – Adjusting and controlling your grill’s temperature is much more comfortable when using Lump Charcoal.
- Different Sizes – Lump Charcoal is available in different sizes. However, many Lump charcoal bags contain different-sized pieces of Lump Charcoal, making grilling more difficult.
- Expensive – Lump Charcoal is a more natural form of Charcoal and, therefore, will be a bit more expensive than Briquettes.
- Burns Faster – Overall, Lump Charcoal is natural and does not have a similar design and chemical additives such as Briquettes, which enables it to burn slower; therefore, burning time on Lump Charcoal is slightly faster.
Lump Charcoal VS Briquettes
All in all, let us look at the fundamental differences between Lump Charcoal and Charcoal briquettes to get an idea of why Lump Charcoal is preferred;
Lump Charcoal is Charcoal in its most primitive and natural form, so there are no additives or chemicals. Lump Charcoal generally burns faster and hotter, leaving much less ash than Briquette Charcoal. Likewise, you can easily control the fire’s temperature because Lump Charcoal is more responsive to oxygen.
Briquettes are the fast food of Charcoal. They are cheap, reliable, readily available, and burn much longer than Lump Charcoal. Yet, you still need to know what is in them. Unlike Pure Lump Charcoal, Briquette Charcoal consists of wood by-products compressed with various additives that give a chemical smell when lit. Another issue with Briquette Charcoal is that it produces a tremendous amount of ash. Besides this, Charcoal briquettes burn long, hold consistent temperatures, and are light easily enough.
Features of a Good Lump Charcoal
- Size – The bag comes in different LB weight options or a general weight of 20. Lumpp sizes can vary from medium to extra large in the Charcoal Lumps.
- Natural – All natural sources and making processes are used, so no fillers or additives exist.
- Wood and Flavor – Wood such as Oak and other hardwoods are used to manufacture the Lump Charcoal. Extra flavors, such as Hickory, can be added.
Reviews: The Best Lump Charcoals
These are some of my top favorite brands that all manufacture the best available Charcoal Lumps;
We hope you love the products we recommend!
We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
The Jealous Devil Hardwood Lump Charcoal is a trusted and much sought-after brand in Hardwood Lump Charcoal and my top pick.
- The Charcoal bag comes in different sizes and weight options you can choose from.
- The bag itself has an improved, much more durable design.
- Hardwood Lump Charcoal burns better with less ash and prevents rust build-up in your Grill.
- The Jealous Devil Charcoal Lumps are also restaurant-grade quality and burn twice as hot as traditional Charcoal and much longer.
- These Lumps offer a rich, mild, smokey flavor that will not overpower your food.
- This is a pack of Center-cut Lump Charcoal by Char-Broil.
- It is 100% natural, clean-burning, hardwood Lump charcoal.
- The charcoal comprises organic wood only to provide a uniform 3-inch average size and 3% maximum ash for convenience.
- It is processed by firing longer to produce a lighter-weight, premium-quality Charcoal.
The B and B charcoal Lump bag comes in 20 lb and is manufactured from Oak Wood.
- Made from all-natural Oakwood with no chemicals or additives.
- The bag and charcoal are completely environmentally friendly and offer the highest quality.
- These are medium to large-sized Lumps that burn well with less ash and ignite easily.
- Excellent choice, Texas Style Lump Charcoal.
We have the most exquisite 20lb bag of Lump Charcoal from Wicked Wood.
- Excellent quality medium to large-sized lump Charcoal.
- The bag comes in a 20lb weight, the ideal weight in Lump Charcoal.
- The Lump Charcoal is made from all-natural Hardwood without any additives.
- Lump Charcoal will light very fast, burn hot, and leave much less mess than regular charcoal.
- This is a 7lb pack of Original Natural Pillow-shaped Hardwood Charcoal.
- It is made from premium Charcoal briquettes that light up quickly without any lighter fluid and produce minimum ask and no smoke or sparks.
- This charcoal is made from 100% hardwood to give premium quality results.
- It is packaged without any chemical additives or fillers for your health.
If you want large Lump Charcala pieces, I recommend the 20-pound bag of BIG CP from Big Green Egg.
- These are many large Lump Pieces of Charcoal.
- Big Green Egg only sources its natural Charcoal materials from all-natural bases with no fillers and additives.
- These are likewise premium carbonized wood with absolutely no additives, which are the best on the market.
- I highly recommend this as the best Lump Charcoal if you are looking for the most original larger pieces.
- This is a pack of hand-selected Lump Charcoal packaged by Fogo.
- It is ideal for infusing your goods with a delicious hardwood smoked flavor.
- The lump of charcoal lights quickly and burns hotter and longer.
- It comes in a 35-lb bag for your convenience.
- This is a pack of 100% authentic Mesquite Lump Charcoal.
- It is handmade and hand-selected for packaging.
- These Charcoal lumps burn longer and are hotter than average charcoal.
- It comes in an 8lb bag of all-natural Charcoal.
Index Table: Top Rated Lump Charcoals
|Jealous Devil All Natural - Hardwood Lump Charcoal
|Char-Broil Center Cut - Lump Charcoal
|B and B Oak Lump - Lump Charcoal
|B and B
|Wicked Wood Charcoal Lump Bag - Lump Charcoal
|Wicked Wood Charcoal
|Original Natural Charcoal Hardwood - Pillow Shaped Charcoals
|Original Natural Charcoal
|Big Green Egg Big CP - Natural Lump Charcoal
|Big Green Egg
|Fogo Premium - Lump Charcoal Bag
|VIVA PANCHO Authentic - Mesquite Lump Charcoal